Friday, September 7, 2018

End of the (Bike) Road

We’ve come to the end of our riding tour, and what vivid memories I have from the road! 

The GPS units helped us cycle in our ‘own space', and not in a pack.  Now and then a brightly-colored pub or home would just pop out all of the constant green.  The center of the roadways seemed striped in green, with moss and grass growing right up the middle.  Just when I was admiring a sheep-dotted pasture in the distance, a lone stray would appear on the road right in front of me.  The cows and sheep (donkeys, too), were so funny.  Some seemed oblivious to our passing.  And others were clearly curious, or would dare me to a staring contest.

And this ‘crew’ has been so inclusive and compatible, both staff and guests.  When does everyone ever agree on everything in this world!  You never know about group dynamics, but I only wish I more time with this fun, caring, positive-thinking, inclusive group of people.

I logged 164 miles on the bike in five days, an average of 33 miles a day.  Yes, I’ve done a couple of Ultra runs before, but I’ve never sustained daily physical/cardio activity for this long a span.   Less than a month now from a big-ish birthday, I feel great.  And also very, very fortunate!


Now for more touring, but by car; right-hand drive, of course.   After five days riding on the ‘wrong side’ of the road, I think I’ve got this. 












1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glenn, I would think that you and I riding bikes in the L.A. Marathon (albeit over 20 years ago) could have indeed been instrumental in your training for this trip?. .. Your adventures sound fantastic. Way to go. buddy. Proud of you!

Spence