Thursday, April 18, 2024

Paradise in the Maldives

 Another paradise found!  I’m captive on a very small island in the Indian Ocean, and that’s an excellent thing.  The Le Meridien resort where I’m staying is all there is on an island a little over a half-mile long and about 22 acres in total.  Everyone arrives by float plane, a 30-minute hop from the capital city of Male.  That’s the start of the fun.  And once on island, most people walk or golf cart shuttle to different venues, but I’m getting around on a fat tire bike.

My ‘villa’ is a very modern take on an over-the-water hut, with its own private deck and ladder to the water, and even a little swimming pool.  When the sun comes out it’s super-saturated turquoise color everywhere you look, framed against white sand and deep blue sky.  And intermittent clouds and rain have been magical, too. There’s drama this close to the equator.

The SCUBA diving has been some of the best I’ve experienced anywhere in the world.  I couldn’t get enough, so I did four dives in two days.  No need for wet suits, with water temps in the mid 80s.  The fish are gorgeous and plentiful, and we were totally surrounded at times by big schools.  My favorites, called ‘Sweet Lips’, are in a photo here captured by one of my dive guides.  He also got a shot of me, and we found Nemo, too, or at least his cousin.  Lots of beautiful coral as well, including some that is the bright orange color of Cheetos.  The crew and guides were all Maldivians, and my dive mates were a young couple from Russia, and another one from Italy.  I actually haven’t met another American here.  It is, after all, a long way from home.

Buddhists in Bhutan and Muslims here believe in their own versions of paradise.  I think that the ocean is mine.

















No comments: