Saturday, May 3, 2014

This is Africa!


I had to consult a map when I heard about this trip.  And I found out that Malawi is a sliver of a country in East Africa, surrounded by Tanzania, Mozambique and Zambia.  It’s one of the poorest countries in the world, with many people living on about a dollar a day.  And that’s why we’re here, to help two families afford decent homes.

Our team of 20 is gathering in Lilongwe, the capital city.  And tomorrow we head to our build site near Lake Malawi.  The lake is one of the largest bodies of water on the continent, and covers about a fifth of the country’s terrain.

I enjoyed my time in Johannesburg, and met wonderful people there.  But it felt like a big developed city anywhere in the world.  The view from the plane on approach to Malawi was a patchwork of green farming plots broken-up by red clay dirt roads, set against a seemingly endless horizon.  And the skies, foliage and people are so beautiful.  This is Africa!



No comments: