Thursday, May 9, 2013

Three More Wonders

I've been fortunate to see a number of the world's wonders.  And on this, my first trip to South America, I'm on my way to see three more.  You may know that there is more than one '7 Wonders of the World' list these days.  Over the next three weeks I will first see Machu Picchu, one of the 'New 7 Wonders of the World'.  Then The Amazon, one of '7 Wonders of the Natural World'.  And, finally, The Galapagos, one of '7 Wonders of the Underwater World'!

Tomorrow I will join 11 other adventurers for travel in Peru and Ecuador organized by Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT).  This will be my third trip with this company; I've also done a Morocco tour (2010) and a Tanzania safari (last year).  My friend Eva, whom I first met on the Morocco trip, will join us in Ecuador; she's already been to Machu Picchu.

I wasn't expecting much of Lima, Peru, our meeting point but not really part of the tour.  I arrived a day early, and boy am I glad I did.  Nowhere in the world have I seen more beautiful and well-tended parks, and clean sidewalks.  The people are warm and friendly, and the air is clear and delightful.

Yesterday I took a walking tour where we saw well-preserved colonial architecture and brightly-colored murals.   I'm not a big fan of museums, but I enjoyed seeing the pre-Columbian ceramics and colorful folk art.  Then today I joined a bicycle tour that took us along the very scenic re-developing coastline with its new glass-balconied penthouse buildings and more flower-filled parks.  I liked the bell on my bike so much that I'm bringing one home as a souvenir!

Lima has been called the gastronomic capital of Latin America.  It's known for its cuisine, and particularly its ceviche, which here often includes kernals of corn.  It's just about dinnertime, so I'm headed out to find some  .  .  .










2 comments:

Maria said...

Safe travels Glenn!

Love,
Maria

Patti Pietschmann Travel Diva said...

Glenn, you are such a wonderful writer, perhapsy a book about your travels is in order, Peach and I will edit. Keep on rolling and enjoying.
Love,
Patti